Sunday, July 6, 2014

Vegan Carnitas Tacos from Helen's Kitchen

I have been on a vegan taco binge, so I decided to try a new product,  Helen's Kitchen Organic Veggie Carnitas.  I found the package at Whole Foods Market.

The "carnitas" are pre-seasoned, pretty heavily with a strong cumin overtone and a bit of citrus .  I like cumin and citrus, so it's not particularly bad.  I heated the "carnitas" in an oiled skillet and added a squeeze of lime.  Like I said, "I like citrus."  Well, to my surprise, it was pretty tasty.  You know, I'm usually not a big fan of using a product straight out of the package, but this one works

Helen's Kitchen Vegan Carnitas
I put the "carnitas" on a white corn tortilla and topped them with shredded cabbage, cilantro, tomato, onion, and a drizzle of vegan sour cream and sriracha (for a little heat).  Wow!  This is a winner with very little effort.  Very flavorful and a decent texture.  Craig was hesitant to try them (sometimes he has new food phobia), but when he did he absolutely loved 'em... even asking for more.  This is an easy go-to if you want to do a little fast & easy bachelor-style cooking.  Straight out of the package.  What could be better?  Helen has other varieties that I'd like to try ... vegan Italian sausage anyone?  I'll let you know the score when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment