Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Fresh Vegan Spring Rolls (Gỏi cuốn) with Peanut Sauce

I fell in love with spring rolls after trying them at Au Lac in Fountain Valley.  These babies are not fried, but made with fresh ingredients.  I know, not really junk food… but what the hell, they taste great anyways.  I was so hooked on them, I had to give them a try in my own kitchen.  I found out they’re really easy to make and great for summer. 

A little history, the spring rolls I make are from Vietnam.  They’re referred to as Gỏi cuốn and are traditionally made with pork, prawn, vegetables, bún (rice vermicelli), and other ingredients wrapped in Vietnamese bánh tráng (commonly known as rice paper).  Gỏi cuốn comes in at a whopping 30 on the World's 50 most delicious foods by CNN Go 2011.  So, why not give’em a try?

Vegan Fresh Spring Rolls

Vegan Fresh Spring Rolls (Gỏi cuốn) Recipe

Ingredients

Rice paper (you can get these at oriental food markets)
Rice vermicelli
Carrots – cut in thin slices
Bean sprouts
Romaine lettuce
Mint leaves
Cilantro stems
Fresh basil leaves
Vegan “shrimp” – I found these at Vege USA* – but I don’t usually use them for this recipe.

Cook rice vermicelli according to directions on the package and drain.  Set aside.  Fill a shallow bowl with warm water.    To assemble – dunk the rice paper in the shallow bowl, it will soften pretty quickly, then pull out.  Be careful, the rice paper could rip.  Place flattened rice paper on cutting board or large plate.  Place 1 piece of lettuce about 2/3 down from top of rice paper.  Carefully place all ingredients near or in the lettuce.  Fold sides over and roll from the bottom up.  (I’ll get you a video link soon.)  Set rolls aside.


Rice Noodles & Rice Paper

Vegan Peanut Sauce Recipe


Peanut butter
Vinegar
Brown sugar or non-refined sugar
Shoyu (soy sauce)

I don’t really measure my ingredients and for this recipe, it goes a lot with your own personal taste.  Try starting with ½ c peanut butter and add 1 Tbsp of brown sugar, 1 tsp of shoyu, and 1 tsp of vinegar.  Combine all ingredients and mix with a little water.  Adjust to your taste.  I like mine a little sweet and simple.  Try making it your own by adding other ingredients:  lime juice, canned coconut milk, or for a little zap add chili oil. 


There you go… restaurant style spring rolls with peanut dipping sauce.  Yum-mee.  Ngon!

No comments:

Post a Comment