Monday, July 14, 2014

Animal Rights Conference & Homemade Vegan Dog Food

Animal Rights Conference 2014 - Wrap Up




Craig and I are exhausted!  The three day Animal Rights Conference with X-Marks the Spot was fantastic.  It was a great opportunity to meet some dedicated animal rights activists and vegan foodies.  There was some yummy vegan chow from Southern Fried Vegan, Donut Friend, and Ishan’s Falafel. 

Thanks to everyone for stopping by the X-Marks the Spot booth and having some vegan street tacos (aka  tacos al carbon with mojo sauce).  We appreciate the positive feedback and love.  Sorry we didn’t get the vegan nachos out.  Shoot me an e-mail and I’ll send you the low-down on upcoming events as they’re scheduled.  Thanks to Jen Riley from FARM for making it all happen for us.  And thanks to all the activists for standing up for those who have no voice. We love you!

Homemade Vegan Dog Food

I’ve been feeding our pups, Toby and Suzie, homemade vegan dog food.  Wait!  Rewind… vegan dog food???  Aren’t dogs supposed to be carnivores?  You know you're going to kill your dogs!  After the current dog food recall from Proctor and Gamble ( Iams and Eukanuba), how can I feed my babies anything else? 

The first thing I had to was to research nutritional needs of dogs before I began.  So, I read “Vegetarian Cats and Dogs” by James Pedin.  (They’ve been doing this since the 80’s, so it’s no new fad.)  The book maps it out really thoroughly including recipes. And cats can go veg too.  

Toby especially loves the homemade vegan kibble.  He gives it two paws up!  Toby and Suzie’s coats are soft and shiny.  They have tons of energy.  And look happy and healthy.  No coincidence when I feed them food made from scratch. 

I use Pedin’s recipe with VegeDog & VegeYeast (Don't skimp on these, they're both necessary for nutritional value.).  Then I add my own enhancements – pumpkin and peanut butter.  Pumpkin for digestive health and peanut butter for flavor. 


Voile! There you have it.  Well, I do have to admit, it’s not that easy.  It does take some time to cut and bake.  I use a pizza cutter to cut.  If you have any better ideas, let me know.  Please… I’m dying for a faster procedure.  If you find it’s too time consuming, try mixing half store bought vegan kibble with homemade.  Overall, if you love your pups it’s worth it.  Food made with love, what could be better?  

No comments:

Post a Comment