Friday, June 20, 2014

Summertime Pita Sandwiches

I was outside working in my garden in the scorching heat today.  When I came inside I decided it’s time to give you a cool treat.  I was serving these yummies up at AT&T.  They’re a great summertime sandwich. Here’s the equation folks.   Take your favorite salad, then throw away the bowl and your fork.  Next, introduce it to your new friend Mr. Pita.  It’s a match made in heaven.  Craig originally gave me the idea.  When he lived on the east coast, he raved about Wendy’s Salad Pitas.  Enter Cynthia… so with this seed I went on a quest to find the ultimate pita, since not all pitas are the same.  Since its inception, a couple of years ago, I have come up with different varieties.  The pita sandwich recipe today is my standard American classic, which incidentally was the first one I created.  Craig has been addicted to them since day one and has never brought up Wendy’s Salad Pitas again…  or maybe that’s because they were discontinued.  
Let’s begin! 

Summertime Pita Sandwiches Recipe

Start with a fresh, good quality pita bread.  As I’ve said before, I like to shop at my local Mediterranean market where there’s a great selection.  There I can find everything from thicker, chewier pitas to thinner, lighter pitas.  There’s even whole grain pitas for those of you who are a little more health conscious.  If you want to go the healthier pita route, check the ingredient list and make sure you’re not getting pitas with enriched wheat flour as the first ingredient, you should be looking for whole wheat or other whole grains.  Also, look at the fiber content on the nutrition label.  If it’s 1 gram of fiber, it’s not all that healthy. 

Pita bread
Coyote Mountain Ranch (click for recipe link)
Vegan cheddar cheese (I use Daiya brand)
Onions – thinly sliced
Cilantro – chopped
Lettuce (romaine) – chopped
Red bell pepper – thinly sliced
Tomatoes – chopped
Avocado – sliced
Topping:  vegan bacon bits (optional)

Take the ranch and spread it on the pita.  Sprinkle vegan “cheddar cheese”, onions, and cilantro on top.  Then, place the lettuce, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and avocado on next.  Top with “bacon” bits if desired.  As a recent modification, I started adding little bits of jalapeno to give it that extra spark (not really heat).

Lucky you, you get the rain forest version today too. 

Rain Forest Pita Sandwich Recipe

Pita bread
Trader Joe’s Goddess or Annie’s Natural Goddess dressing (they’re the same with different brands)
Onions – thinly sliced
Lettuce (romaine) – chopped
Red bell pepper – thinly sliced
Carrots – grated
Avocado – sliced
Toppings:  chopped Brazil nuts (you can substitute any nut or sunflower seeds) and cranberries

Pour the Goddess on the pita and spread.  Top with the rest of the ingredients. 

Note:  This particular version is designed more for the health conscious.

So you see there are many different ways to go.  At press time, I’m currently working on a mango, lime dressing version.  Craig & I live on these when the temperature gets too hot.  Thanks to everyone at AT&T who helped make them a big hit.  (You know them as Pita Salad Sandwiches.)  Oscar just loved them… so this recipe’s for you.  Thanks Kandice for the cilantro suggestion.  It really adds to the flavor. 

Thanks to Craig for co-writing today blog.  

Update:
Craig came up with a new version of this sandwich.  He's been addicted to them lately.  He starts with a smear of  ranch then tops with onions, shredded cabbage, lettuce, & carrots, red bell pepper, chopped pickles, and finally a drizzle of creamy lemon tahini dip.  As Craig says, "These are sooo good!  I could live off them."


No comments:

Post a Comment