Friday, June 6, 2014

Italian Mamma’s Cheatin’ Vegan Spaghetti

Buon Giorno.  I was thinking about my trip to Italy a few years back.  I stayed at my friend, Dennis’ family’s villa in the small, quaint village of Ruota.  Located in the Tuscan area hillsides with a population of 300.  While visiting, I found out a little secret... that many of the Italian mammas do a little cheatin’ with their spaghetti sauce.  They use jarred sauce and pizazz it up.  Stai scherzando!  Non e` possible!  (Translation:  You’ve got to be kidding!)  The women say it’s so much easier than making homemade when you don’t have the time.  Well, here’s my veganized version.  It’s not homemade, but it’s quick and easy.  Let me know what you think.

Italian Mamma’s Cheatin’ Vegan Spaghetti

1 lb pasta
1 jar vegan pasta sauce 
1 pkg vegan “ground beef”
(I use Trader Joe’s or Gimme Lean’s “ground beef”.  I’ve recently begun experimenting with the newest contender - Beyond Meat’s.)
2 tsp Slammin’ Trio – equal parts vegan Worcestershire sauce, shoyu (soy sauce), and liquid smoke (you can adjust to your liking.  If you can’t find vegan Worcestershire, skip it)
Vegetable oil
1 clove garlic – chopped (add more to taste)
½ onion – chopped
Fresh herbs (dried is okay if you don’t have fresh)
Olive oil


Boil the pasta and follow the directions on the package (since different varieties of pasta exist).  In an oiled skillet, add chopped onions and cook until translucent.  Add the garlic and vegan ground beef continue to cook (not too long or the garlic will burn. Yuck!)  


Vegan Worcestershire Sauce

Pour in the pasta sauce and add your choice of fresh or dried herbs (I like oregano and basil) and a little olive oil for flavor.  Cook for a few minutes or longer if you have patience and want the sauce to taste even better.  Perfetto!  (finished)  Serve over cooked pasta.  Abbondanza!  (as they said on the Ragu commercial)

No comments:

Post a Comment