Monday, June 23, 2014

CP Masher (Chickpea Salad Sandwich)

As the weather gets hotter, you’ll be thinking of cooler ways to feed your tummy.  So, here’s another summertime AT&T classic.  It’s quick and easy to prepare and satisfying to boot.  I’ve been told it’s a creamy cross between a “chicken” salad and a “tuna” salad sandwich… I’ve even had someone guess “crab” salad.  You may ask, “How could chickpeas resemble chicken, tuna, or even crab?”  Well to tell you the truth it’s not an exact fit, but still is a yummy sandwich.  If you are looking for a closer fit, I’ll give you another suggestion to use as a substitute.   However, this one does have a great flavor that you can zip up. 

CP Masher Sandwich Recipe

1 can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans or fresh 
(chickpeas & garbanzo beans are different names for the same “animal”)
Chopped celery
Chopped onion
Salt & pepper to taste
Vegan Mayo (I use Vegenaise – reduced fat)
Shredded lettuce



I got this tip from an Israeli family secret… if using canned chickpeas, cook them in a small pan for a few minutes. Don’t drain the liquid from the can when cooking.  Cooking will soften the chickpeas up or if you like a firmer chickpea, skip this step and just drain the can.  I like making my chickpeas in a pressure cooker.  I’ll give you the directions for it below.  While hot, put the chickpeas in a bowl and mash them with a potato masher to the consistency you prefer.  (If you don’t have a masher, use a fork.  That’s what I used before I got my masher.)  Let the chickpeas cool in a bowl.  Then add the chopped celery and onions and mix together.  Stir in the vegan mayo and salt & pepper to taste.

Once again, I don’t really measure my ingredients, so do it to your liking.  Take the chickpea mix, spread it on bread of your choice and top with shredded lettuce to make a sandwich.  You can also use it as a dip.  My sister in-law, Cindy, likes to take Fritos and dip them into the chickpea salad.  If you want a closer version to “chicken” salad, shred up some vegan “chicken” and substitute for the chickpeas.  I use Beyond Meat’s “chicken” strips.  Vege USA and Gardien “chicken” are good substitutes too. 

Baja-Style CP Masher Sandwich

Craig loves his CP Masher Baja-Style.  All you have to do is add shredded vegan “cheddar cheese” (I use Daiya cheddar) and add a squeeze of lime for an extra zest. Craig likes it on a pita or sourdough.

Daiya vegan cheddar

Cooking Chickpeas in a Pressure Cooker

If you have a pressure cooker, take it out and use it for making chickpeas.  Pressure cooking adds so much to the flavor and texture.  I like to make a little extra chickpeas sometimes.  My dog, Suzie, loves them.  I also save some to make homemade hummus at the same time.  Stay tuned for the recipe.

1 – 2 cups of dried chickpeas (or more if you like)

Soak the chickpeas in water for 8 hours.  This will decrease the cooking time and take away the gassy-ness of beans.  Drain the water and put the chickpeas in the pressure cooker.

Pressure Cooker
Add enough water to cover the chickpeas and then add a little more water.  Cook over medium/high heat.  When the “hat” (the little top piece on the pressure cooker) starts “dancing”, cook for another 11 minutes.  Turn off the heat and let sit until pressure is released.  I listen for the relief valves to drop and then touch the “hat”.  If the “hat” doesn’t make a sound (steam being released), then I release the lid.  Be careful when you touch the “hat”, the steam can burn you.  Don’t rush it.  Then it’s time to drain the water and mash the chickpeas.   

Thanks again to everyone at AT&T for making this sandwich a s"mash" hit.  This goes out to Angel who’s been dying for the recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment