Thursday, August 21, 2014

Mario’s Fast & Easy Pomodoro Pasta Sauce (vegan)

My garden has started to reward me with some beautiful tomatoes.  I have some heirlooms, romas, and sweet cherry tomatoes.  Now, what to do with them?  Pomodoro sauce… a simple pasta sauce made with garden fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and herbs.

Romas, Sweet Cherries, & Heirloom Tomatoes 

My friend, Dennis, shared an almost foolproof recipe for making homemade pasta sauce with these same ingredients, courtesy of his dad, Mario, who is a retired Italian chef.  So, I made a batch the other day.  I forgot how fresh and flavorful this sauce is.  I enjoyed it so much, I got a few more tomatoes from my garden and made some more.  Now, I’m hooked.  I can’t wait ‘til my babies are ready to be picked again.

Reduce Pomodoro Sauce


I love the freshness of this sauce and the best part is that it's ready in minutes.  If you have some garden tomatoes ready to go, give this recipe a whirl. 


Vegan Fresh Pomodoro Sauce over Angel Hair Pasta


Mario’s Fast & Easy Pomodoro Sauce Recipe

Chopped garden fresh tomatoes (I used my heirlooms and romas)
Chopped garlic
Olive oil
Fresh chopped herbs (I used basil from my garden)
Salt and pepper to taste


Heat olive oil in a skillet.  Add chopped garlic and a little salt.  Cook about 1 minute (not too long – burnt garlic isn’t tasty).  Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes soften and thickened  (Reduce sauce down to about 1/3).  Add chopped herbs.  Serve over cooked pasta.  Craig likes to top it with vegan parmesan (he likes Go Veggie! brand)

No comments:

Post a Comment