Monday, August 4, 2014

Dreamy, Creamy Vegan "Cheese" Quesadillas

Vegan creamy, cheesy quesadillas… do they exist or is it just a dream?  Flashback… pre- 2009 I wasn’t so sure.  Years ago, I used to love the “cheese” quesadillas at Green Leaves in Los Feliz.  My friend, Sheri, and I used to go there and I’d die over them.  At that time, I didn’t know about any vegan “cheeses” that would make the grade.  People were even questioning whether or not the “cheese” Greenleaves was using was truly non-dairy “cheese”. 

Since 2009, things changed.  Daiya came up with vegan “cheese” shreds that melt and taste pretty darn good.  Vegans were ecstatic!  Finally a product that resembles cheese.  Wait a minute… can things get better?  For sure, for sure, for sure.  Daiya now has a “cheddar” wedge with magic for turning into a saucy consistency.  I melt it with a few choice ingredients and there you have it… the foundation for vegan quesadillas. 

Vegan Cheese Quesadillas 

Dreamy, Creamy Vegan “Cheese” Quesadillas Recipe

Daiya block cheddar-style
Jarred or homemade red salsa or Ro*tel’s
Unsweetened non-dairy milk (I use soy or almond)
Flour tortillas
Oil

Cut Daiya block into smaller chunks.  (I purchase mega blocks of Daiya especially made for food service, so I don’t know exactly how much to use.  I’d try a good portion of the 8 oz. package to start.)  Put chunks in a small saucepan with some of non-dairy milk.  I use the milk to help the Daiya melt without burning and for creating a spreadable consistency.  You can also try using a double boiler to melt the “cheese”, but I’d still add a little “milk”.  After the “cheese” melts, add the salsa or Ro*tel’s to the saucepan and stir.  Remove from heat.

Spread the “cheese” mixture on one side of the flour tortilla and cover with another tortilla.  Heat a large oil-coated skillet.  (I use a good amount of extra-virgin coconut oil.)    Place the tortilla in the skillet and cook until slightly golden brown.  I cooked mine until they become golden and have a delicate, slightly crisp texture.  Turn and repeat on the other side.  Remove from heat.

Cut into 8 wedges.  Serve with vegan “sour cream”, salsa, guacamole, cilantro, green onions, or anything else your mind comes up with. 


*You can add other yummy ingredients to make your quesadilla unique.  Try some jalapenos for pop, seasoned vegan “chicken” or “ground beef”, soy “chorizo”, thinly sliced grilled bell peppers, onions, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment