Monday, August 13, 2018

Recommendations - Meat Alternatives

I felt like I needed to get this blog going again.  I wanted to start with some of my go-to products. to help new vegans, veg-friendly folks, or those looking for a healthier, more compassionate, and environmental alternative to meat.

There are so many plant-based meat substitutes available today, so I decided to start with a simple one... ground beef.  Remember that there's no cholesterol, anti-biotics, hormones, or those other nasties that you find in meat.  Is that reason enough to give'em a try?  

Some are spot on, while others have undertones of soy (or other flavors) or non-meat like textures (too soft).  I've decided to put together a list with tips on preparation.  Here ya' go!!!

Ground Beef



My all time favorite is Trader Joe's Beefless Ground Beef (BGB).  The texture is great and with spices and other touches you can get pretty darn close to ground beef.  Use it in pasta sauces, mix it with your taco seasoning, use it for your chili sin carne, make a meatloaf or meatballs, pretty much anywhere you'd use ground beef.  Hamburger Helper vegan-style anyone???  

Pan fry the BGB with a lightly oiled pan.  Throw in some garlic, or onions. (It's a good idea to pan fry the others brands too)



If you don't live near a TJ's, here's a list of some other brands.  Some I've tried and others I don't remember or haven't tried them.  That doesn't mean they're not good. Everyone has their own tastes, so don't give up.  You can try them all!!!



Tofurky Meatless Ground Beef:  I like Tofurky Deli Slices, so this one would be my next choice to try.  I haven't tried them, so give me your opinion.










Lightlife Smart Ground:  I have probably tried Smart Ground before, but after finding my love (TJ's BGB)… I don't remember much.











Gardein The Ultimate Beefless Ground:  I don't believe I've tried it, but lots of people swear by Gardein products.










Beyond Meat Beefless Crumbles:    These Beefless Crumbles are made with pea protein.  They're a little healthier version, but the texture and taste are not quite as good as TJ's.  







































































No comments:

Post a Comment