Sunday, May 18, 2014

Dy-no-mite "Beef-a-Roni"


I just watched an episode of “Rewrapped” on the Food Network.  The chefs were preparing a copycat version of Chef Boyardee’s Spaghetti and Meatballs.  So, I found myself reminiscing about Super Elastic Bubble Plastic, Funny Face powdered drink mix (70s version of Kool-Aid), my sister, Gail’s Dressy Bessy doll and … the Bobbsey Twins books (not really, I’m not that old). 

Funny Face Drink Mix Characters
                                  
Well, here’s another childhood favorite of mine.  As a child (and non-vegan), I remember eating Beef-a-Roni.  I think I have a pretty good recollection of the taste.  So, I decided to make a version of “Beef-a-Roni” ala vegan.  Enjoy this childhood favorite.  Kerplunk!


Dy-no-mite Vegan “Beef-a-Roni” Recipe

1 lb macaroni – cooked
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp  vegetable oil
6 oz veggie ground “beef”  (I use a half package of Trader Joe’s Beefless Ground Beef)
2 tsp Slammin’ Trio – equal parts vegan Worcestershire sauce, shoyu (soy sauce), and liquid smoke (you can adjust to your liking.  If you can’t find vegan Worcestershire, skip it)
2 cans tomato soup (I use Anderson’s tomato soup)
2 tsp sugar (adjust to taste)
salt & pepper to taste

In a large skillet, saute the garlic and onions in oil, until onions are translucent.  Add the veggie ground “beef” and Slammin’ Trio and cook.  Add tomato soup (if you use condensed tomato soup, add a can of water), sugar, salt, and pepper.  Cook until the sauce bubbles and thickens.  Stir in the cooked macaroni.  Let sit for a few minutes to thicken some more.  Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment